Thursday, March 27, 2008

NAN Decency Initiative: Tamika Mallory

Statement from Tamika Mallory

As National Director of the National Action Network’s Decency Initiative I write to refute statements made in a letter circulating on the internet that completely distort Reverend Sharpton’s position on the Dunbar Village rape case.

First, the National Action Network and Reverend Al Sharpton have advocated against any form of violence or degradation against women since its inception. In fact, in January of this year Rev. Sharpton personally visited Dunbar Village with William Franklyn Richardson, III, president of our Florida chapter, to denounce the living conditions there and the rape and violence that occurred against the victim and her son. He pledged to return and spend the night in Dunbar to hopefully further expose the living conditions that create an environment for such acts of violence to go unchallenged, but due to a storm on the night of his scheduled visit, we have rescheduled the sleep-in to mid April.

Rev. Sharpton’s January visit to Dunbar was widely reported, which is why it is strange to me that anyone would feel that his subsequent statements with the NAACP would be any different from his original statement in January. If there was confusion, one would think a person would at least call us to inquire before jumping to a self serving attack on a position we never took.

Rev. Sharpton was in Florida three weeks ago as part of a tour to make sure the Florida and Michigan delegates of the Democratic Convention, would not be seated since primaries were unfairly held in January. While in Florida, the local NAACP chapter asked him to appear at a press conference where they alleged that since the Dunbar Village incident, the local prosecutor had not held several young whites in a neighboring city who had gang raped a young girl, to the same standard that the assailants in Dunbar are facing. Their point was to underscore how the local prosecutor will not treat whites who have committed a deplorable act the same way they treat blacks. Reverend Sharpton attended and made it clear that he thinks both acts were heinous and deplorable and that both groups should be punished to the full extent of the law. He in no way excused, justified, or called for leniency in the case of the black assailants.

Whether it was Tawana Brawley, several years ago, who many didn’t believe or Meagan Williams, today, who many have forgotten, Reverend Sharpton has stood against women being violated and has supported with resources and his presence our Decency Initiative which is part of his national civil right’s organization. The Decency Initiative has been fighting against the violent and misogynistic language against women. He has done this to the chagrin of many of his supporters and many of his friends in the entertainment industry.

For anyone to distort his position and then attack it without even a phone call and to seemingly and purposely omit the fact that the press conference was about the white kids being treated with kid gloves for the same despicable act is in itself sexist. All women of all communities should expect the law to protect them and we should at least check with those that put themselves on the line for us before we rush to judge a distorted story.

Rev. Sharpton is no stranger to the causes of black women and he should at least be given the benefit of doubt before we accuse him, particularly when it is not true.

I trust that all responsible will correct this misrepresentation…

9 comments:

riverforestbenjiman said...

hello,and good day to you -- REV AL SHARPTON,,, from benjiman williams of river forest illinois,,, i do have a lot of respect for you, for what you are doing with the voter registration drive,, you are not telling people who to vote for, you are just telling people to register to vote, i respect that,,also another item i respect you for, you are saying,and telling us black men , to check for prostate exams,and colon exams, to get yourself checked by a doctor is a very good thing, i am thankful to you for advising us black men to take care of your health...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bradg said...

Rev. Sharpton--

I know this has nothing to do with politics, but it is football season thank God, and maybe this is relevant.

I've been a Green Bay Packers fan my whole life, and this year it doesn't look like they are even going to make the playoffs as a wild card after going 13-3 last season, and being one game away from the Super Bowl.

When Ray Rhodes was the head coach he went 8-8, and got fired after ONE year! Needless to say he was a black man.

This year the Packers should have been AT LEAST the #2 team in the NFC! It looks like they won't even win their weak division! Mark Murphy, Ted Thompson, and Mike McCarthy should all lose their jobs!!!

If not, I say that's racism! What do you think?

Volunteer Doctors Coalition said...

It is good to have a man who is a "drum major" for equality. However, though I have watched and observed this for years, and marched with Al Sharpton in the past, I find that it is difficult for me to ignore that some violet acts that do not make the news, or others look good are ignored. Mine was one such case. I know that every case cannot be resolved by your organization, but I am still finding myself standing TOTALLY ALONE with a couple of injustices by the law. I am not a law-breaker, and use to be an advisor for a couple of congressmen. I am disgusted with rhetoric. This is all I will say here. A woman of integrity.

Anonymous said...

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I am writing this last letter of love for my friend Dorothy Campbell, asking that all that receive this letter will help this young lady concerning her addiction to illegal street drugs.

The terrorist drug dealers in Arnold and New Kensington, PA are taking advantage of her and others of their addiction to illegal street drugs.

I have ask Westmoreland County Housing Authority’s owner of “Central Tower Apartment” 1141 4th avenue New Kensington, PA to get security as to stop the terrorist drug dealers from selling their illegal drugs to my friend Dorothy Campbell and others that live in “Central Tower Apartment” and also asking Allegheny Housing Rehabilitation Corporation owner of “Valley Royal Court” New Kensington, PA to get security to stop the terrorist drugs dealers from selling illegal drugs on and within their apartments to my friend Dorothy and others of addiction in “Central Tower Apartment” New Kensington, PA. The City of Arnold and New Kensington, PA has done a very good job getting the terrorist drug dealers off their streets. I believe my letters of love to them has got to their hearts, concerning the future children in Arnold and New Kensington, PA. The leaders in these two towns will be in my heart for what they are doing for our children and those of addiction. President Obama and Governor Rendell of Pennsylvania should visit these two towns to see what people can do if they get serious about the war on drugs. The Holy Spirit is so happy to see what Arnold and New Kensington, PA has done concerning a better future for our children and our drug addicts.

To all that receive this letter of love, the Bible teaches in the last days there will be a “One World Government” that will have a “world court” that will arrest those for crimes against humanity and as you all know this world court is already arresting people for war crimes and crimes against humanity.

If my friend Dorothy Campbell who I love very much dies from her drug addiction because Westmoreland County Housing Authority and Allegheny Housing Rehabilitation Corporation will not get security to stop the drug problem, I will pray that all will be arrested for crimes against humanity concerning her death and any other person that I know that lives in these entities of government housing.

My friend has been doing a lot of sleeping because of her depressing, I seen her yesterday and because of her not doing drugs for three days, she was so pretty. I love her so much and its because of the Holy Spirit that is in my life, we know her heart this is why we love her, and all others of addiction. President Obama said he loves his daughters, well he is not the only person that loves the children of Yahweh or God to most people.

This world court will get stronger as time goes on, the World is tired of these kind of people that only think of money.

Sincerely,

Gary E Savage and the Holy Spirit

Copies e-mailed to International Court of justice, Westmoreland County Housing Authority, Allegheny Housing rebhabilitation Corporation, US President Barack Obama, PA Governor Edward Rendell, US Senator Arlen Specter, US Senator Robert Casey,, NATO, European Union, United Nations, US Attorney Gereral Eric Holder, Al Sharpton National Action Network, CNN.com Anderson Cooper, FoxNews.com and etc. Also posted on My website at http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/sharonyahweh

Anonymous said...

NAN posted a letter on this blog without my permission.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009
apostlegarysavage

Anonymous said...

Sunday, August 9, 2009 Time 3:23 AM

President Barack Obama, United States Senator Arlen Specter, Pennsylvania Governor Edward Rendell, Pennsylvania Attorney General Tom Corbett, Pennsylvania States Police Commissioner Colonel Frank E. Pawlowski, United States Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr,

I need your help concerning my life.

You can go to my website at http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/sharonyahweh I have put two videos for you to view. I plan to do my best on my next video to let you all know what my life has been for the past 12 years concerning the people that don't like me in Washington township Armstrong county. I have done nothing to these people but they are evil people and the Kittanning State police are well aware of my problem with the people that has been causing me fear for my life for the past ten years..

I have also put my first two videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/yahwehmessiah

You need to get a police station in washington township Armstrong County. This is not a joke this is a very serious issue concerning my life. There is no local police for washington township this is why these people have no respect for law concerning my life and four wheelers. They go onto other peoples property and also my property and I was told that my neighbor when I first moved here in 1997 that they burned his house down because he tried to stop them from riding there four wheelers on his property. I was told back then they would burn my place also if I did not stop. They have no right to do what they are doing and it's getting worse. Today I had to call the state police. You can call the State police in Kittanning Pennsylvania to learn what happened, they have pictures also, and today because of the fear for my life, I bought a video camera so if my life is at risk and someone gets hurt I will have it on video.

Many years back I called the state police concerning a man that tried to kill me when I was riding my bicycle in Adrian PA, I had a video of the man trying to kill me, but the state police told me I could be charged with wire tapping so I destroyed it. This is also on record. This was not the first, this is why I got a video camera put on my bicycle. Leader times newspaper put my story in the paper and making it a joke concerning people trying to hit me as I was riding my bicycle, because my driver license were suspended illegally because I could not afford to pay $1,000 for a Pittsburgh attorney who said she could win the case which I knew also, I tried to defend myself but I lost. I am paying $5.00 per month, and if I had the money I would take this back to court and get back the money that I have paid. I am not liked at the courthouse also, you can also check the records there. Armstrong County charged me with threating to kill a commissioner, kill president bush, and blow up the courthouse. Mr. Specter you are aware of this because I wrote to you about that issue.

Again to all, I need your help before someone gets hurt.

Sincerely,

Gary E Savage
161 Spring Run Road
Adrian, PA 16210
724-548-1554
http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/sharonyahweh

Anonymous said...

If I apostle gary savage were to be appointed governor of the United States concerning the "one world government" I would have Rev. Al Sharpton arrested for allowing crimes against humanity within the united States.

The Chi Lites Son Darren said...

Blacks Legendary Black Entertainers need blacks help to stop abuse to Black Legendary Entertainers legacy many of them of died in poverty and even homeless, Blacks must bring this out and force the media and black in the media to help end black legacy abuse like Chi Lites Creadel Jones and family that was forced in poverty.
Please Contact me to help The Legendary Chi Lites and the family ChiLitesLegacy@yahoo.Com